Twitter Updates

Friday, August 04, 2006

What?! Stupid Design in Japan!


I took this picture from one of the hotel room in Osaka, Japan. Did you notice the light switch on the right? What did you see? Yes! There is an electric outlet right under the white button.

So what's the big deal? Imagine that you have just finished using the restroom...you wash your hand.....go out......missed the button and.....zzZZZAAAPPPP!!!

Of course, you need to have a small finger to actually get eletrocuted. But didn't you mom always ask you not to put your finger in an electric outlet??

I never thought I would see this kind of thing in Japan! Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Joel said...

What is GFI?

I am talking about the design and human behavior really. Generally you will not even put your finger close to the outlet that is next to your sink. Right?

But if you put a light switch right next to it, the chances of putting your finger right into the outlet become much higher.

Simple said...

Don't worry, Joel...

I believe the Japanese design will not hurt any persons, especially those in the hotel, which provide to the foreigners.

Did u get a shock?

Joel said...

Haha, of course I am ok la.

Again, I am just talking about the design concept. They should try to avoid putting conceptually incompatible things together this close.

Have you ever switched off a light without looking at the button itself? The reason I am posting this because I did the same in that hotel room after a bath. And later found out that I could have putting my wet finger right on top of the outlet.