Twitter Updates

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

First day to use Ubuntu instead of Vista at work




Today is my first day of work without using Vista.

I really want to like Vista, I really do. I have been trying to like it even though the performance is not as good as I originally expected.

Last week I have to run two VMs for testings and my computer (Lenovo X61 with 3G) ran out of memory. So I thought I bought a 2G ram hoping to at least get 3.5G ram out of it (My Vista is 32-bit only, so I don't I am not getting 4G). But to my surprise, after I spent the money the system shows 3G ram only again. I searched the internet and others are having the same issue.

So I decided to install a 64-bit OS. I could install Vista 64bit or Ubuntu.

I decided to give Ubuntu a try and installed it as my main OS. Linus has come a long way and it is quite easy to setup. I have also installed XP as a VM so I could run WIndows applications if I need to.

It is very easy to install and setup. I could do most of the work almost immediately as I have been using Google Apps for awhile. So far so good in my case, my only complaints is: No good support for dual monitor in my setup. I have another monitor at work and I could only see Cloned desktop view.

I don't know how long I am going to stay with Ubuntu. I think it is a good transition before I could get a Mac. :)

At this moment, I don't miss Vista at all.

No comments: